Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Sé que hoy viví (2008), Breaking Glass (2008)

Two old poems:

Sé que hoy viví (2008)

Patas arriba, la luna dorada
Mengua y mece en su nido estelar
Color de paja sus arrugas, vuela
Arrastrando el alba sobre el mar

Las sílabas tragadas por las olas
Renacen en alas de colibrí
Crepúsculo crepita y se estalla
Susurra el viento y sé que hoy viví

Hallé letras maduras en las ramas
A mi hermanita chica vi crecer
Vi caer sobre ti mil penas grises
Que al final llegaste a vencer

Giré al sol, di caza a quimeras
Oí zumbar un grillo en las cañas
Teñí de lumbre un triste corazón
Y sentí un buen poema en mis entrañas

Mundo de flechas ardientes que hieren
¡Dame un alma! ¡Un barco de vela!
Así navego en la verde salina
Y bebo a sorbos la luna que riela

Rocío, dulzura
Muerte, locura
Sombra, negrura
Vivo color

Tierra, secura
Cielo, verdura

Yo, ceniza
Dios, amor.



I also wrote this poem in 2008, about breaking free from the things that bind us:

"Breaking Glass" (2008)

Around me smoky moonlight creeps,
Beams fervent dreams onto this sheet:
For blades of grass beneath my feet
To rub my soles and soothe to sleep
This age-old itch inside my veins…
I’m rattling my window panes…
I’m twitching in a bottled ship
And every single fingertip
(Once kissed by God, but fragile still)
Is drumming on the windowsill
As if anxious to sprout wings,
Pluck melodies on nature’s strings,
Rise up a great white albatross.
Seven seas I’d rather cross
Thrashed by inclement winds, fierce squalls
Than crawl inside created walls
Where disbelief is piled thick
And mind made heavy brick by brick.

The helm is His and so am I
(Truths glimpsed in the benighted sky)
And captive hours soon will pass.
I hear the sound of breaking glass!
And fall into the sea within
With a strain of violins.



No comments:

Post a Comment